Forum: Ruby Ugh! gem update -system broke something

Cs W. (Guest)
on 2008-11-07 02:54
Hi.

I ran gem update -system to upgrade from 0.9.4 on a Linux machine and
now it's broken.

If I run gem -v, I can see that I have version 1.3.1

If I run rake gems:install, I get

'report_activate_error':Could not find RubyGem rake

Can someone offer some guidance for how to fix this?

I don't know what other details would be helpful.  Rails is frozen in
the vendor folder.  Do I need to create a symbolic link to fix this, add
a gem path or is a bigger problem?

THANKS!
Sathish T. (Guest)
on 2008-11-07 13:55

hi,

 try in your console,
 run this command  >gem list
It shows list of gems,in these find rake is listed or not.(i thought its
not installed)if not listed make install the gem.
Cs W. (Guest)
on 2008-11-07 16:23
The problem turned out to be that the update reinstalled gems in a
different location than where the gems were installed.  We needed to
reinstall gems again and this time it installed in the correct spot.
Giuseppe B. (Guest)
on 2009-01-01 22:42
Cs Webgrl wrote:
> The problem turned out to be that the update reinstalled gems in a
> different location than where the gems were installed.  We needed to
> reinstall gems again and this time it installed in the correct spot.

Hello,
I seem to have stumbled into the same problem.
I have a number of gems installed on my Ubuntu box, and they all reside
in

    /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/

But after doing

    $ sudo gem update --system

and successfully upgrading to v.1.3.1, suddenly gems are being looked
for in

    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/

which is empty. In fact, doing

    $ gem list

yielded ZERO gems. To test things, I then installed a new gem:

    $ sudo gem install capistrano_colors

which succeeded. 'gem list' does report this one, and I found the
package in

    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/

Cs Webgrl says they reinstalled all gems to make things work again, but
I wonder if there is a simpler, cleaner way to have the proper path
restored.

Thanks in advance!
Giuseppe