Forum: Ruby on Rails database documentation

Fernando (Guest)
so far i havent been able to find a way to document my database with
rails.
is this a flaw? a feature? a hidden feature? or they just dont care
about documenting the database?
Norm (Guest)
Fernando wrote:
> so far i havent been able to find a way to document my database with
> rails.
> is this a flaw? a feature? a hidden feature? or they just dont care
> about documenting the database?
You could just put comments in your migrations.  They are ruby code.
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 7 Nov 2008, at 01:30, Norm wrote:

> Fernando wrote:
>> so far i havent been able to find a way to document my database with
>> rails.
>> is this a flaw? a feature? a hidden feature? or they just dont care
>> about documenting the database?
> You could just put comments in your migrations.  They are ruby code.

That's not that great, for example a table's structure can be the
accretion of multiple migrations.
The rails way is probably just to keep that sort of stuff in the
appropriate model (and since the rails way is not to use things like
triggers and what not, the model encapsulates pretty much all the
intelligence in the app).

Fred
Harold (Guest)
Along the same lines as Fred suggests, it should be on the model.
We've been using the annotate_models to do it for us.

http://agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/annotate_models

-H

On Nov 7, 5:17 am, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>