Forum: RSpec cucumber docs

Tim W. (Guest)
Hi all,

What is the best source for cucumber documentation. I did the rdoc
thing but that was more of the API view. Is there any usage guides,
etc. besides the examples and what you get when you download it or is
the documentation hidden in there and I just didn't see it.

Many thanks in advance!

Tim
Ben M. (Guest)
Tim W. wrote:

Have you seen the github wiki?

http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis

-Ben
Joseph W. (Guest)
I suggest you checkout the wiki that Cucumber has on Github .

http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis

Lots of useful information.

HTH
--
Joseph W.
http://www.joesniff.co.uk

Thanks,

Tim
Tim W. (Guest)
Thanks guys, I may have overlooked some of the stuff there. A lot of
what I was looking for was in the "Step Organization" page.

Still not clear on some of the dynamic substitutions and syntax, etc.

Thanks,

Tim
aslak hellesoy (Guest)
On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Tim W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Thanks guys, I may have overlooked some of the stuff there. A lot of
> what I was looking for was in the "Step Organization" page.
>
> Still not clear on some of the dynamic substitutions and syntax, etc.

I just jotted down some basics here:
http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/fea...

Please let us know of anything else that needs explaining.

Cheers,
Aslak
Tim W. (Guest)
Thank you very much Aslak. That looks great. FWIW I have taught a
class "Executable Requirements with FitNesse" as the director of
training and coaching at Valtech and on the faculty of agile
university. I went back to a real job recently and am now employed on
a new enterprise class RoR project as the requirements manager and QA
dude rolled in to one. In my analysis and discussions with others it
looks like we're putting a stake in the ground around Cucumber (having
passed through the Rails Integration testing, RubyFIT and other
approaches along the way). I'm sure we'll have lots of questions. It
really is awesome stuff and am looking forward to this project with
more excitement than I've felt in a long time (and I'm a fairly old
dude, programming in assembler, fortran, c and even 360/40 JCL in my
career). Seeing what you guys are doing is just over-the-top cool. BDD
is great, Domain Driven Design is great. Stuff I wish I knew 20 years
ago. Requirements are the tests that implement them, not a separate
SRS, they are the same thing. Literally. We want to do away with
defect tracking and just write tests that reproduce them and break the
build, treated like any other story. Your work makes all this
possible.

Sincerely,

Tim
aslak hellesoy (Guest)
On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Tim W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Thank you very much Aslak. That looks great. FWIW I have taught a
> class "Executable Requirements with FitNesse" as the director of
> training and coaching at Valtech and on the faculty of agile
> university. I went back to a real job recently and am now employed on
> a new enterprise class RoR project as the requirements manager and QA
> dude rolled in to one. In my analysis and discussions with others it
> looks like we're putting a stake in the ground around Cucumber (having
> passed through the Rails Integration testing, RubyFIT and other
> approaches along the way). I'm sure we'll have lots of questions. It

Thanks for sharing that Tim. I take that as a confirmation that we're
doing something right here :-)

> really is awesome stuff and am looking forward to this project with
> more excitement than I've felt in a long time (and I'm a fairly old
> dude, programming in assembler, fortran, c and even 360/40 JCL in my
> career). Seeing what you guys are doing is just over-the-top cool. BDD
> is great, Domain Driven Design is great. Stuff I wish I knew 20 years

Isn't it great to be in a field where you can feel there is some
progress and learning?
80% of what you find in BDD, RSpec and Cucumber comes from elsewhere.
Here is a list
that I have often used when I present BDD so people can go and dig fro
more.

TDD/JUnit - Kent Beck
FIT - Ward Cunningham
Example Driven Development - Brian M.
User Stories - Connextra team (Nolan, MacKinnon et al)
BDD daddys - Chris "business value" Matts and Dan "tastapod" North
ATDD/ATDP - Richard Watt and David Leigh-Fellows (I might be wrong on
origin)
DDD/Ubiq Language - Eric Evans
The RSpec list - the catalyst of bringing all of this into a consistent
whole

> ago. Requirements are the tests that implement them, not a separate
> SRS, they are the same thing. Literally. We want to do away with
> defect tracking and just write tests that reproduce them and break the
> build, treated like any other story. Your work makes all this
> possible.

Can I quote you on this? I need it for my campaign.

Aslak
Tim W. (Guest)
Absolutely and THANKS!

Sincerely,