Forum: GNU Radio USRP on 56ft mast: need long USB cable?

Chris S. (Guest)

I'm putting my USRP and antenna on a 56 foot mast.  For my application
the USRP must be near the antenna.  I'd rather not deal with the
logistics of placing the computer on the mast as well.  Any ideas on how
I can get the USB data from the top of the mast to the ground where my
computer is?

ideas:
- long USB2 cable
- "USB2 -> ethernet" (does this exist?)
- Put computer atop the mast

Thanks,

Chris
Chris S. (Guest)
Chris S. wrote:
> - "USB2 -> ethernet" (does this exist?)

Does the USRP2 use ethernet to transmit data?  I just saw a picture of
it.

CHris
George N. (Guest)
Chris S. wrote:

wikipedia:
"The maximum length of a standard USB cable is 5.0 meters (16.4 ft). The
primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of
about 1500 ns. If a USB device does not answer to host commands within
the allowed time, the host considers the command to be lost."

> Does the USRP2 use ethernet to transmit data?  I just saw a picture of it.

Yes.

- George
Rakesh P. (Guest)
Chris,

Marcus had mentioned about experimenting with ICRON Ranger 2101 USB 2.0
Extender for about 150foot. Check out these threads...

http://www.nabble.com/ICRON-Ranger-2101-USB-2.0-Ex...
http://www.nabble.com/USRP2-Price-td19399125.html (towards the end of
the
thread)