Forum: Ruby calculating a curve, making a skeleton, exporting to vector,

Travis L. (Guest)
on 2008-11-05 06:55
Can I do this in Ruby? Basically, I want to copy this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29_omkkvxiE

I don't even know what words I'm supposed to describe this.
Martin DeMello (Guest)
On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Travis Laduke
> Can I do this in Ruby? Basically, I want to copy this guy:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29_omkkvxiE
>
> I don't even know what words I'm supposed to describe this.

That's pretty neat! Can't specifically think of any ruby libraries or
bindings that would help with this, but the basic plan of attack would
seem to be:

1. Design your object in a 3D modeller or CAD program
2. Export it to some standard vector format
3. Find a library that can work with that vector format and calculate
cross sections

Your 3D modelling program might actually be able to do the cross
sections itself, and generate them in a loop via its internal
scripting language.

martin