Forum: Ruby Newbie question: Where to put library .rb files?

Kenneth McDonald (Guest)
At our site, newly started using Ruby, we're now starting to get code
we'd like to make generally available via 'require'. What is the
standard location/method for doing this? Can it be done in such a
manner that rdoc and ri documentation is made available to the site,
preferably integrated with the rest of the ruby docs on this site?

Thanks,
Ken McDonald
Aldric G. (Guest)
I don't have a direct answer to your question - but what you're looking
for is how to create a gem..
Best of luck on your research!

--Aldric
RichardOnRails (Guest)
On Nov 4, 12:22 pm, Kenneth McDonald
> At our site, newly started using Ruby, we're now starting to get code
> we'd like to make generally available via 'require'. What is the
> standard location/method for doing this? Can it be done in such a
> manner that rdoc and ri documentation is made available to the site,
> preferably integrated with the rest of the ruby docs on this site?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken McDonald

The place you want is ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby.

For example,  I have my home-grown utility Search.rb stored there,
which defines a Search class.  Then a Ruby program stored anywhere can
simply include:

require 'search' # case-insensitive on WinXP, e.g.
s = Seach.new # etc.

HTH,
Richard
Jeff M. (Guest)
on 2008-11-06 02:20
Kenneth McDonald wrote:
> At our site, newly started using Ruby, we're now starting to get code
> we'd like to make generally available via 'require'. What is the
> standard location/method for doing this? Can it be done in such a
> manner that rdoc and ri documentation is made available to the site,
> preferably integrated with the rest of the ruby docs on this site?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken McDonald

To see what your current config is set to cut-n-paste this into
irb:

puts "ruby load directories"
puts
$:.each do |e|
  puts e
end

Since I work across a variety of platforms, I prefer to set the
RUBYLIB environment variable on each of my systems to a directory
of my choosing. This directory is added to load paths in $: