Forum: Ruby on Rails Setting "From" in Mailer model

Luke G. (Guest)
on 2008-11-04 05:51
At the moment mail sent from my app comes from "mailer" when received by
gmail. Is it possible (i.e. some particular format) to make this more
meaningful?

What I have at the moment one of my typical mailer methods:

def updated
 recipients  users.collect(&:email).join(',')
 from        "removed_email_address@domain.invalid"
 subject     some_subject
 body        <hash>
end
Luke G. (Guest)
on 2008-11-04 05:52
Whoops, by meaningful I mean, appearing in my inbox as coming from
"MyDomain.com Mailer" instead of just "mailer"

Luke G. wrote:
> At the moment mail sent from my app comes from "mailer" when received by
> gmail. Is it possible (i.e. some particular format) to make this more
> meaningful?
>
> What I have at the moment one of my typical mailer methods:
>
> def updated
>  recipients  users.collect(&:email).join(',')
>  from        "removed_email_address@domain.invalid"
>  subject     some_subject
>  body        <hash>
> end
Phillip K. (Guest)
on 2008-11-04 16:42
Luke G. wrote:
> Whoops, by meaningful I mean, appearing in my inbox as coming from
> "MyDomain.com Mailer" instead of just "mailer"
>
> Luke G. wrote:
>> At the moment mail sent from my app comes from "mailer" when received by
>> gmail. Is it possible (i.e. some particular format) to make this more
>> meaningful?
>>
>> What I have at the moment one of my typical mailer methods:
>>
>> def updated
>>  recipients  users.collect(&:email).join(',')
>>  from        "removed_email_address@domain.invalid"
>>  subject     some_subject
>>  body        <hash>
>> end

I use the format

from "Some P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>"

Peace.
Mark Reginald J. (Guest)
Luke G. wrote:
>> def updated
>>  recipients  users.collect(&:email).join(',')
>>  from        "removed_email_address@domain.invalid"
>>  subject     some_subject
>>  body        <hash>
>> end

You'd write:

from 'MyDomain.com Mailer <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>'

If the email sender is common to all mailer methods
you can move this "from" call to the initialize method,
so it only has to appear once.

http://railswheels.com
Luke G. (Guest)
on 2008-11-05 23:29
Excellent! Just what I was looking for! :D