But its wipes out the existing index and creates a new empty one - the pages for Ferret are currently unavailable - just wondering anybody else has come across this? Is the 'create=>false' just not working or do I have it wrong here ? ( I have also tried : create=>'false' - still the same thing). Cheers John How do I get the version of Ferret I'm using by the way - I would have posted that here if I knew how ! -- Search.rb -- require 'rubygems' require 'ferret' index=Ferret::I.new(:path => 'index', :create=>false); index.search_each('thane') do |doc,score| puts doc, score end index.close -- end
on 2008-11-03 00:04
on 2008-11-03 00:22
As far as i know, Ferret-built indexes are not binary-compatible with Lucene anymore. To find out the version, open a console and type: gem list ferret the highest version behind the ferret gem is the one in use. Regards, Florian G.
on 2008-11-03 00:46
Thanks Florian, that would be shame if we've lost that binary compatibility ah well... The version is: *** LOCAL GEMS *** ferret (0.11.6, 0.11.4) And ignoring the Lucene/Ferret thing for the moment - the 'search.rb' program above seems to write over the index directory in any case (if I run it twice , I get new mod times on the 'segments' files at least). Cheers John
on 2008-11-03 01:59
I don't remember the reasoning behind it, but as far as i know, this happend quite a while ago. If you search http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/5 for it, you might get more. I think the ability to use Lucene directly from JRuby already makes the ability to manipulate it with ferret a cornercase most people will ignore. Regards, Florian G.
on 2008-11-03 14:25
On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, John Pritchard-williams wrote: > And ignoring the Lucene/Ferret thing for the moment - the 'search.rb' > program above seems to write over the index directory in any case (if I > run it twice , I get new mod times on the 'segments' files at least). I have not explicitly checked for this behaviour with the ff.rb I modified (without touching that bit), but certainly the index is not rebuilt, that would take ages. http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/ruby/ff.rb http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/ruby/ferret_helper.rb See http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/ruby/#ff.rb for a bit of blurb about what I did. You might like to experiment with that to see if its behaviour is useful. [For those reading the archive: that machine is doomed to die, and the URL will change. I'd like to keep this stuff on the web somewhere, but I'm not sure how that will work out] Hugh