Forum: Ruby Data Structs in Ruby

Edipofederle E. (Guest)
on 2008-10-31 20:36
Hello,

How would the implementation of such a stack or queue, and Ruby, already
has something "ready" to handle ...

Thakns.

I sorry but my english is not very good.
Bilyk, Alex (Guest)
Array can act as a stack as it has #pop and #last. It can also act as a
queue as it also has #first and #shift. You can wrap this functionality
in a Queue and Stack classes to make it more explicit if you like.
Brian C. (Guest)
on 2008-10-31 23:34
Bilyk, Alex wrote:
> Array can act as a stack as it has #pop and #last. It can also act as a
> queue as it also has #first and #shift. You can wrap this functionality
> in a Queue and Stack classes to make it more explicit if you like.

Included in the Ruby standard library:

irb(main):001:0> require 'thread'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> q = Queue.new
=> #<Queue:0xb7d753e0>
irb(main):003:0> q.push "abc"
=> #<Queue:0xb7d753e0>
irb(main):004:0> q.pop
=> "abc"

This queue object is thread-safe. There is also SizedQueue, which blocks
pushes when the queue reaches a certain size, until another element has
been popped.
Robert K. (Guest)
On 31.10.2008 22:27, Bilyk, Alex wrote:
> Array can act as a stack as it has #pop and #last.

It even has #push.

> It can also act as a queue as it also has #first and #shift.

You can use #push and #shift or #unshift and #pop for queue behavior.
Plus there is Queue as Brian mentioned.

Cheers

  robert