Forum: Ruby on Rails Capistrano question

Joe B. (Guest)
on 2008-10-31 04:38
When configuring the ssh_options[:keys] options. It says it should have
a value of path/to/ssh/id_rsa. Is that on my local machine or on the
host machine?
Daniel B. (Guest)
On Oct 31, 1:38 pm, Joe B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> When configuring the ssh_options[:keys] options. It says it should have
> a value of path/to/ssh/id_rsa. Is that on my local machine or on the
> host machine?

id_rsa is your private key and should stay on your local machine; keep
it secret; it will take the place of your password when logging in to
the server.  If you're worried it may be accessed by other people then
encrypt it with a passphrase.
id_rsa.pub is the public key and you can push that up to your server
and (usually) stick it in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys. (see ssh-copy-id)
ssh_options needs to know the private key so that it can authenticate
you with your server (once you've pushed up your public key).

--
Daniel B.