Forum: Ruby on Rails intranet applications

Eric S. (Guest)
on 2008-10-28 21:51
Hello,

I am getting ready to start building an intranet for a small company i
work for. I have a question about the general architecture of such a
thing. the intranet itself will contain multiple applications for
various departments. what i am trying to figure out is if i should start
by making each application as a seperate rails project or attempt to
design it from the top down, all in one project. I have a feeling i am
not being very clear here so please feel free to ask questions, also
alot of details are murky as i am just starting this.
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Oct 28, 7:51 pm, Eric S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am getting ready to start building an intranet for a small company i
> work for. I have a question about the general architecture of such a
> thing. the intranet itself will contain multiple applications for
> various departments. what i am trying to figure out is if i should start
> by making each application as a seperate rails project or attempt to
> design it from the top down, all in one project. I have a feeling i am
> not being very clear here so please feel free to ask questions, also
> alot of details are murky as i am just starting this.

Broadly speaking I'm on the side of multiple smaller rails apps than
one huge one. Easier to write, easier to maintain. The answer also
depends to an extent on what levels of interaction you need between
the apps.

Fred
Eric S. (Guest)
on 2008-10-28 22:06
Frederick C. wrote:
> On Oct 28, 7:51�pm, Eric S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
>
> Broadly speaking I'm on the side of multiple smaller rails apps than
> one huge one. Easier to write, easier to maintain. The answer also
> depends to an extent on what levels of interaction you need between
> the apps.
>
> Fred

Would you just link them together with generic html links into there
respective controllers? or is there a way to link them together with
rails?

my generic plan atm is to have a main page with our logo and a
navigation bar for each department, then under that a feed aggrigator
with industry news in it.

                   logo
       finance  hr  it  sales  etc

  industry feed           industry feed      local weather

asci doesn't do many things justice

each department listed above will have a dropdown menu with a few items
in it that would be the applications.

this part will also obviously be a rails app
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 28 Oct 2008, at 20:06, Eric S. wrote:

> Would you just link them together with generic html links into there
> respective controllers? or is there a way to link them together with
> rails?

pretty much just generic stuff.

Fred
Eric S. (Guest)
on 2008-10-28 22:17
Frederick C. wrote:

> pretty much just generic stuff.
>
> Fred

Thanks!
Nick C. (Guest)
on 2008-10-29 17:31
Eric S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am getting ready to start building an intranet for a small company i
> work for. I have a question about the general architecture of such a
> thing. the intranet itself will contain multiple applications for
> various departments. what i am trying to figure out is if i should start
> by making each application as a seperate rails project or attempt to
> design it from the top down, all in one project. I have a feeling i am
> not being very clear here so please feel free to ask questions, also
> alot of details are murky as i am just starting this.

I would do one app and write each sub-application as a plugin. That will
make the whole thing very re-usable.