Forum: Ruby on Rails Chat Client integrated into Rails

Mike D. (Guest)
Does anyone have any experience, used any software to integrate a chat
client into rails?  I want incoming users to a public site to be able
to chat with a set of represntatives on an intranet.  Thanks to the
community in advance!
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 27 Oct 2008, at 20:02, Miked wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience, used any software to integrate a chat
> client into rails?  I want incoming users to a public site to be able
> to chat with a set of represntatives on an intranet.  Thanks to the
> community in advance!

You'll have to write it yourself, but Juggernaut provides you with the
tools for realtime chat: http://juggernaut.rubyforge.org/ Don't know
if it still works with Flash 10 though.
Another way would be to use a setup like Campfire and periodically
poll the backend (using PeriodicalUpdater).

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Nathan E. (Guest)
on 2008-10-28 20:06
I second the use of Juggernaut and I believe it does work with Flash 10.
Juggernaut is a much much better solution than polling. You might also
want to look at shooting_star + meteor for a comet-based solution or
orbitd.
Pilaf (Guest)
Take a look at this:

https://jabbify.com

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Nathan E.