Forum: Ruby How to update gem to a version that's not the latest ?

Gaudi M. (Guest)
on 2008-10-27 17:42
I posted an earlier question but am amending it with this question
instead which hopefully gets to the heart of the matter:

I'm trying to get from rubygems version 0.9.5 to version 1.2.0 because I
believe that 1.3.0 has a possible bug.  However when I install 0.9.5 and
then do a gem update --system it updates to 1.3.0 because that's the
most recent in my remote repository (we use an internal repository,
btw).

The repository does have 1.2.0.  How do I get to version 1.2.0 instead
of 1.3.0?

Thanks.
Radosław B. (Guest)
Download it manually and install from local file.

--
Rados³aw Bu³at

http://radarek.jogger.pl - mój blog
Gaudi M. (Guest)
on 2008-10-28 00:28
Thanks for the response, but the question of "how" was really the heart
of my question.  I understand that *gems* can be installed locally by
using the -l switch, but when I try

gem update --system -l [some file name]

it does not work and I'm not clear on the difference between

gem install rubygems-update-0.9.5.gem

and

gem update --system

and

update_rubygems.

Am I the only person that finds this confusing?

Thanks.