Forum: Ruby save object reference in db?

Jamal S. (Guest)
on 2008-10-27 14:16
Hi everyone,

I want to ask if it's possible to save object reference in database for
later use?

Regards,
Jamal
Robert K. (Guest)
2008/10/27 Jamal S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> I want to ask if it's possible to save object reference in database for
> later use?

No, not directly.  How should that work?

You either need an OR mapper (for example ActiveRecord) or you store
complete object graphs serialized (via Marshal in a BLOB or YAML in a
CLOB).

Cheers

robert
Brian C. (Guest)
on 2008-10-27 16:14
Robert K. wrote:
> 2008/10/27 Jamal S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>> I want to ask if it's possible to save object reference in database for
>> later use?
>
> No, not directly.  How should that work?

Well, technically it *is* possible to save object references - see
weakref.rb for an implementation.

But this is almost certainly not what the OP wants (since those object
references won't survive garbage collection, or application restart)
Robert K. (Guest)
2008/10/27 Brian C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Robert K. wrote:
>> 2008/10/27 Jamal S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>>> I want to ask if it's possible to save object reference in database for
>>> later use?
>>
>> No, not directly.  How should that work?
>
> Well, technically it *is* possible to save object references - see
> weakref.rb for an implementation.

Hey, normally *I* am supposed to be the nitpick!  What's the point in
storing something that you cannot reasonably retrieve?  This is only
useful for a WOM. *gg*

> But this is almost certainly not what the OP wants (since those object
> references won't survive garbage collection, or application restart)

Exactly!

Kind regards

robert