Forum: Ruby on Rails Disable validation on edit

Dharmdip R. (Guest)
on 2008-10-27 10:56
Hi all

I want to disable validation when i m calling the edit method. The
reason y i want to do this is that i m allowing only certain fields to
be edited. I dont want to pass hidden values.

Is there any method to disable validation when i call a certain method?

Thanks
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Oct 27, 8:56 am, Dharmdip R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I want to disable validation when i m calling the edit method. The
> reason y i want to do this is that i m allowing only certain fields to
> be edited. I dont want to pass hidden values.
>
> Is there any method to disable validation when i call a certain method?

You can do pretty much what you want with some combination of
the :if/:unless options on validations and the :on option (method
there refers to create/save/update - it has nothing to do with a
controller method).
Or just call save(false) from your controller if you don't want any
validations to run.

Fred
Dharmdip R. (Guest)
on 2008-10-27 11:34
Hi

Thanks for your reply ..My actual problem is that i m calling .save
function from 2 different methods but in one method i want to validate
and from the other i dont want to. Both uses the same model and the
method is same. But the controller is different.

Hope you understood my exact problem

Thanks
zuo peng (Guest)
you can either use update for edit or call save(false) to avoid all
validations.

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Dharmdip R.
> Thanks
> --

Emo Philips  - "My computer beat me at checkers, but I sure beat it at
kickboxing."
void (Guest)
or you can call:

object.save_without_validations

or
object.save_with_validations

although i'd not recommend bypassing your validations.
Dharmdip R. (Guest)
on 2008-10-27 11:55
void wrote:
> or you can call:
>
> object.save_without_validations
>
> or
> object.save_with_validations
>
> although i'd not recommend bypassing your validations.

thanks for your reply. I agree that bypassing validation is not
advisable but in this case i dont want to do as its a manual process..

Thanks a lot