Forum: Ruby on Rails what is "!map:HashWithIndifferentAccess "?

Zhenning G. (Guest)
on 2008-10-25 18:05
I read the typo migration code file 004_add_sidebars_.rb and found
these:

      Bare4Sidebar.create(:active_position=>0, :controller=>'page',
:active_config=>'--- !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess
      maximum_pages: "10"')

I'm confused what does it meaning? work for?
anyone help~
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 25 Oct 2008, at 15:05, Zhenning G. wrote:

> I read the typo migration code file 004_add_sidebars_.rb and found
> these:
>
>      Bare4Sidebar.create(:active_position=>0, :controller=>'page',
> :active_config=>'--- !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess
>      maximum_pages: "10"')
>
> I'm confused what does it meaning? work for?

That looks like yaml serialized data.

Fred
Robert Z. (Guest)
Guan,

HashWithIndifferentAccess is just like any other hash except that the
key 'somekey' will be the same as the key :somekey.

For example if you have a regular hash like the following
>> hash = Hash.new({:somekey => 'testing'})
>> hash[:somekey]
=> testing
>> hash['somekey']
=> nil

Notice how the key 'somekey' is not the same as the key :somekey

>> hash = HashWithIndifferentAccess.new({:somekey => 'testing'})
>> hash[:somekey]
=> 'testing'
>> hash['somekey']
=> 'testing'

Here the key 'somekey' and :somekey are the same.

Understand?
--
Robert Z.
Zapient, LLC