Forum: Ruby on Rails third-level domain

Petr B. (Guest)

I am wondering if there is chance to automatically create third-level
domain. For example: new user registration, with rockguru nickname, and
I would like to create a third-level domain for this user:
rockguru.mydomain.com.

Anyone knows how to do it? Is it possible?
Thanks in advance.

Petr
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 24 Oct 2008, at 15:41, Petr B. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if there is chance to automatically create third-level
> domain. For example: new user registration, with rockguru nickname,
> and
> I would like to create a third-level domain for this user:
> rockguru.mydomain.com.

This is more a question for your network/sysadminy person, but you can
create dns wildcars, ie *.mydomain.com all pointing at your production
server.

Fred
Petr B. (Guest)
on 2008-10-24 19:40
Frederick C. wrote:
> On 24 Oct 2008, at 15:41, Petr B. wrote:
>
> This is more a question for your network/sysadminy person, but you can
> create dns wildcars, ie *.mydomain.com all pointing at your production
> server.
>
> Fred

Thank you, for your replay. So, it means that, there is no way how to do
it using RoR?
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Oct 24, 4:40 pm, Petr B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Frederick C. wrote:
> > On 24 Oct 2008, at 15:41, Petr B. wrote:
>
> > This is more a question for your network/sysadminy person, but you can
> > create dns wildcars, ie *.mydomain.com all pointing at your production
that should of course say wildcards
> > server.
>
> > Fred
>
> Thank you, for your replay. So, it means that, there is no way how to do
> it using RoR?

That is by far and above the easiest way in my opinion. I'm sure you
could write code to fiddle with dns entries (assuming you control the
nameserver) but it really wouldn't be worth the hassle (and everytime
you added new domains you'd have to wait for them to propagate).

Fred
Matt H. (Guest)
Frederick C. wrote:

> This is more a question for your network/sysadminy person, but you can
> create dns wildcars, ie *.mydomain.com all pointing at your production
> server.

There is a railscast episode showing how this can be done with
subdomain_fu.

http://railscasts.com/episodes/123-subdomains

HTH

Matt