Forum: JRuby updating to rubygems 1.3.0

Stephen B. (Guest)
I used this procedure to update my trunk jruby install to rubygems
1.3.0:

jruby -S gem install rubygems-update
jruby -S update_rubygems

After finishing with the install bin/jgem was installed (which
appears to be identical to bin/gem.

It all appears to work but it's confusing to have both gem and jgem.

jruby -S jgem env
RubyGems Environment:
    - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.0
    - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2008-10-17 patchlevel 114) [java]
    - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY:
/Users/stephen/dev/ruby/src/jruby.git/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /Users/stephen/dev/ruby/src/jruby.git/bin/jruby
    - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /Users/stephen/dev/ruby/src/jruby.git/bin
    - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
      - ruby
      - universal-java-1.5
    - GEM PATHS:
       - /Users/stephen/dev/ruby/src/jruby.git/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
       - /Users/stephen/.gem/jruby/1.8
    - GEM CONFIGURATION:
       - :update_sources => true
       - :verbose => true
       - :benchmark => false
       - :backtrace => false
       - :bulk_threshold => 1000
       - "install" => "--env-shebang"
       - "update" => "--env-shebang"
       - :sources => ["http://gems.rubyforge.org",
"http://gems.github.com/"]
    - REMOTE SOURCES:
       - http://gems.rubyforge.org
       - http://gems.github.com/

Stephen B. wrote:
> I used this procedure to update my trunk jruby install to rubygems 1.3.0:
>
> jruby -S gem install rubygems-update
> jruby -S update_rubygems
>
> After finishing with the install bin/jgem was installed (which appears
> to be identical to bin/gem.
>
> It all appears to work but it's confusing to have both gem and jgem.

I've complained to RubyGems folks about "jgem" but they have refused to
change it. It might help if others raised the same concern.

- Charlie

BTW, thanks for this...I'm upgrading trunk now. There does appear to be
one difference between jgem and gem:

jruby headius â—† diff bin/jgem bin/gem
1c1
< #!/Users/headius/projects/jruby/bin/jruby
---
 > #!/usr/bin/env jruby

At any rate, I'll just leave bin/gem as it is. Do you know if the
update_rubygems gem can be removed after updating?

Stephen B. wrote:
> jruby -S jgem env
>    - GEM PATHS:
>       - :sources => ["http://gems.rubyforge.org",

Hi Charlie, Stephen,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Charles Oliver N.
> I've complained to RubyGems folks about "jgem" but they have refused to
> change it. It might help if others raised the same concern.

Just passing by... :)

I thought that we've adjusted/customized our RubyGem in such a way
that it won't install j-versions of the binaries, but it seems that in
case of rubygems itself it actually does create jgem during the
upgrade to 1.3.0 (even if I delete it before the upgrade)...

Thanks,
--Vladimir

At 11:13 AM -0500 10/24/08, Charles Oliver N. wrote:
>I've complained to RubyGems folks about "jgem" but they have refused to change it. It
might help if others raised the same concern.
I've certainly made my arguments to them.

fyi: for anybody else: removed_email_address@domain.invalid.

Charles Oliver N. wrote:
> BTW, thanks for this...I'm upgrading trunk now.

trunk has been updated to 1.3.0, all seems to be working well. I also
removed the nonfunctional deprecated scripts in bin; so there's only
gem, gem.bat, and jgem now.

- Charlie

I am using JRuby 1.1.4 under windows. When trying to upgrade to Rubygems
1.3.1 I got the following error:
c:\>jruby -S gem install rubygems-update
JRuby limited openssl loaded. gem install jruby-openssl for full
support.
http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/JRuby_Builtin_OpenSSL
Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.3.1
1 gem installed

c:\>jruby -S update_rubygems
Installing RubyGems 1.3.1
<script>:1: No such file or directory - cannot execute (Errno::ENOENT)

Anyone can shed a light?

Thanks,

-Sergio

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Charles Oliver N. <
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
Yes, a couple people have reported this unfortunate bug in RubyGems
1.3.0, and I believe we'll have to patch around it for the release.
Here's the workaround, from RubyGems' bug tracker, until we get the
change committed:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...

We'll probably eliminate the home dir stuff completely, since it's also
causing problems on unixy systems too.

Sergio Oliveira wrote:
> Installing RubyGems 1.3.1

>       http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

FYI, I just heard from Eric H. that 1.3.1 is imminent and may fix the
issues we're seeing. I'm going to chat with him shortly to see.

Charles Oliver N. wrote:

>> c:\>jruby -S update_rubygems
>> <removed_email_address@domain.invalid <mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid>>
wrote:
>>     - Charlie

1.3.1 is out, so I updated JRuby. Also, I modified Etc to behave more
like MRI, returning nil when the functions aren't available.

Anyone who was having trouble with RubyGems, please test out trunk ASAP.