Forum: Ruby on Rails AttachmentFu Reprocess all assets

Robby R. (Guest)
Hey all,

I am about to embark on reprocessing approx 100k user photos with new
dimensions that a site redesign has called for. We used AttachmentFu
and have stored the originals in case this ever came up. I don't see
anything built directly in AttachmenFu and was planning to write some
rake tasks to do this myself, but figured it was worth a shot to find
out if anybody else had to do this and wanted to share any
pointers/code. :-)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Robby

--
Robby R.
Chief Evangelist, Partner

PLANET ARGON, LLC
design // development // hosting

http://www.planetargon.com/
http://www.robbyonrails.com/
aim: planetargon

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4068 [fax]
Danny B. (Guest)
on 2008-10-23 06:59
Hi Robbie-

> I am about to embark on reprocessing approx 100k user photos with new
> dimensions that a site redesign has called for. We used AttachmentFu
> and have stored the originals in case this ever came up. I don't see
> anything built directly in AttachmenFu and was planning to write some
> rake tasks to do this myself, but figured it was worth a shot to find
> out if anybody else had to do this and wanted to share any
> pointers/code. :-)

Your post at
http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2008/06/20/ru...
saved my ass a few days ago, when I was setting up a new Macbook Pro.
So, now, I'm really happy to have the chance to pay you back :-)

We faced the same situation as you (though with fewer than 100K images,
I must say), and I wrote code to rehash all the existing images to the
new thumbnail sizes.  You'll find it at http://pastie.org/298645.

In our case, we were using S3 for image storage, and I had to insert the
sleep at line 12 to avoid freaking S3 out, but, if you're using local
file storage, it shouldn't be necessary.

Hope that helps-

Danny
http://rejaw.com/help/about#danny
Robby R. (Guest)
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 7:59 PM, Danny B.

> Your post at

http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2008/06/20/ru...
> saved my ass a few days ago, when I was setting up a new Macbook Pro.

Glad to hear that my post helped you. :-)

> So, now, I'm really happy to have the chance to pay you back :-)

Awesome!

> We faced the same situation as you (though with fewer than 100K images,
> I must say), and I wrote code to rehash all the existing images to the
> new thumbnail sizes.  You'll find it at http://pastie.org/298645.
>
> In our case, we were using S3 for image storage, and I had to insert the
> sleep at line 12 to avoid freaking S3 out, but, if you're using local
> file storage, it shouldn't be necessary.
>
> Hope that helps-

This works great. Just tested it out and it works perfectly. Now to
get ready to start reprocessing 100x x 7 variants... 700k photos!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Robby