Forum: Ruby gems 1.3.0 updates itself every time?

Jay L. (Guest)
On both my Mac (OS X 10.5.5) and my Linux box (Fedora Core 9), gems 1.2
needed the help of "gem install rubygems-update;update_rubygems" to get
to 1.3.0.  Now, every time I do a "gem update --system", it reinstalls
1.3.0, instead of claiming "Nothing to update".

Is this a known problem with the transition to 1.3?  Obviously, the
solution is "don't do that, Jay"; I just want to make sure it's not a
symptom of a deeper problem on my systems.

Jay L.
Yaser S. (Guest)
The same thing happens with me on my Ubuntu 8.04 installation.

Regards,
Yaser S.

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Jay L.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Eric H. (Guest)
On Oct 21, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Jay L. wrote:
> On both my Mac (OS X 10.5.5) and my Linux box (Fedora Core 9), gems
> 1.2 needed the help of "gem install rubygems-update;update_rubygems"
> to get to 1.3.0.  Now, every time I do a "gem update --system", it
> reinstalls 1.3.0, instead of claiming "Nothing to update".
>
> Is this a known problem with the transition to 1.3?  Obviously, the
> solution is "don't do that, Jay"; I just want to make sure it's not
> a symptom of a deeper problem on my systems.

There's a bug:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...

But it's not a high priority.  Other than wasting some time, this
behavior should be harmless.