Forum: Ruby on Rails SVN help...

ressister (Guest)
Hi there,

I have a revision, #238 which I've since made changes to and committed
so I'm now on revision #240.  I'm not happy with the direction that
I've gone since the two commits I've made, and I want #238 to be the
base.  I wouldn't mind keeping #240 around, which i could just do with
a local copy.

When I update to #238 and make changes to it, building off it which i
want to do, anytime I commit, i get a conflict with one of the files
being out of date.  What can i do to make #238 the working build so I
can develop off of that?

-A
Matt H. (Guest)
ressister wrote:
> being out of date.  What can i do to make #238 the working build so I
> can develop off of that?

I think you want to "branch". I'm not sure of the exact syntax but you
should be able to checkout #238, branch it off and change it, then make
that branch the main and have #240 as a fork.

HTH

Matt
ressister (Guest)
Thanks Matt, If anyone could provide an example of the branching
syntax, that would be helpful.

Regards,
-A

On Oct 18, 4:11 pm, Matt H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
ressister (Guest)
Alright, figured it out.  Thanks again Matt for your guidance.
Matt H. (Guest)
ressister wrote:
> Thanks Matt, If anyone could provide an example of the branching
> syntax, that would be helpful.

I think this should be able to help you:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch04.html

I believe the caveat is that you should have your repository using the
recommended svn layout (ie "trunk" and "branches" etc).

HTH

Matt