Forum: Ruby on Rails Modularisation: Using helper generating HTML output vs. using partials

ms (Guest)
Hey,

I've got a general question: when do I use helper and when I do use
partials to modularise certain gui elements?

For example: I've got a faq list. Each item can be folded and unfolded
using ajax.

FAQ foo
-> question 1
-> question 2
-> question 3

So, I wrote a helper "faq_li_tag(args)" which takes the question and
answer for parameters and generates the HTML output.

But I also could have made a partial which creates the corresponding
output.

What's the best solution? What are the criterias for this decision in
general?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
ms
Jeff C. (Guest)
On Oct 16, 9:22 am, ms <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> -> question 2
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Best regards,
> ms

I use partials to factor out view templates to make them more
readable, and so that I can reuse portions of a view in other
templates.

I use helpers whenever view logic is starting to get intertwined with
the view code.  So presentation-only code is in the views/partials,
and any logic (is this user an admin? should they see a sidebar now?
etc.) goes into helpers.

Jeff

purpleworkshops.com
softiesonrails.com