Forum: Ruby on Rails xml missing template

Matt (Guest)
Hello,

I am building my first rails 2 app and using xml builder for the first
time.  After digging around I some builder tutorials, yay :-)  But I
have quickly run into a problem.  When I name my file
title.xml.builder I get this error:

Template is missing

Missing template search/title.html.erb in view path /home/matt/aws/app/

and when I name my file title.rxml I get no output.  If I have the
file named .html.erb I do get the output that is in the file.  I have
require 'builder' in my controller.  I am using apache with passanger,
and I am running in development environment.  Just wondering if anyone
has some input?

Thanks
Matt
Sniper A. (Guest)
on 2008-10-16 15:09
Matt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am building my first rails 2 app and using xml builder for the first
> time.  After digging around I some builder tutorials, yay :-)  But I
> have quickly run into a problem.  When I name my file
> title.xml.builder I get this error:
>
> Template is missing
>
> Missing template search/title.html.erb in view path /home/matt/aws/app/
>
> and when I name my file title.rxml I get no output.  If I have the
> file named .html.erb I do get the output that is in the file.  I have
> require 'builder' in my controller.  I am using apache with passanger,
> and I am running in development environment.  Just wondering if anyone
> has some input?
>
> Thanks
> Matt

in your browser
try
http://localhost/search/title.xml
Matt (Guest)
Hmmm,

when I do that I get a:
Routing Error
No route matches "/search/title.xml" with {:method=>:get}

And also I want to pass in something after title like /search/title/
dogs or something like that...

On Oct 16, 6:09 am, Sniper A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Matt H. (Guest)
Matt wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> when I do that I get a:
> Routing Error
> No route matches "/search/title.xml" with {:method=>:get}

I had much the same error implementing xml builder for the first time
today also. I ended up mapping a route specifically for it like so:

map.connect '/people/export.xml', :controller => 'people', :action =>
'export', :format => 'xml'

It didn't work like any tutorial I found said it should work but bodging
it like this seems to work for now.

> And also I want to pass in something after title like /search/title/
> dogs or something like that...

I think you could do this by modifying the above route.

HTH

Matt