Forum: Ruby on Rails Handling nil.errors in error_messages_for

Mark R. (Guest)
on 2008-10-16 01:59
How do you deal with multiple objects in error_messages_for when one or
more may be nil?

For example:

<%= error_messages_for :object => [@account, @account.billing_detail,
@account.mailing_address, @account.billing_address] %>

Here, @account.billing_detail may be nil, and throw a NoMethodError.

Thanks,
Mark
command0 (Guest)
Now, is @account a variable or a class? I could be way off in left
field, but it looks like your calling objects that should be from a
class. Variables should only be called by themselves typically.

On Oct 15, 3:59 pm, Mark R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Mark R. (Guest)
on 2008-10-16 06:36
@account is an instance of class Account.

Account has_one BillingDetail
Account has_one MailingAddress
Account has_one BillingAddress

My issue is how to deal with nil references on the has_one associations.
To my knowledge, the above syntax is the only way to deal with error
messages in a multi-model form. I could have also done this:

<%= error_messages_for :object => [@account, @billing_detail,
@mailing_address, @billing_address] %>

having set these class variables in the controller, but that does not
solve the nil issue.

Thanks,
Mark
Sniper A. (Guest)
on 2008-10-16 08:27
Mark R. wrote:
> How do you deal with multiple objects in error_messages_for when one or
> more may be nil?
>
> For example:
>
> <%= error_messages_for :object => [@account, @account.billing_detail,
> @account.mailing_address, @account.billing_address] %>
>
> Here, @account.billing_detail may be nil, and throw a NoMethodError.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

i don't know why you are trying in this way

anyway try this
<%= error_messages_for :object => [@account, @account.billing_detail,
@account.mailing_address, @account.billing_address].compact %>

by
mokkai
Mark R. (Guest)
on 2008-10-16 14:47
That worked! Thank you...had no idea you could do that...guess I should
learn more Ruby :)

> anyway try this
> <%= error_messages_for :object => [@account, @account.billing_detail,
> @account.mailing_address, @account.billing_address].compact %>