Forum: Ruby Problem stored values in Oracle

Mario R. (Guest)
on 2008-10-15 20:49
If I enter in my website the value éI9Áq'ÜnPt•    the last character is
replaced on the database by ¿

The problem is I have to test automatically that the content on the
database is the same that the content it was entered on the webpage and
I don't want to do something easy like replace characters.

Any idea how to solve it in a good way?

Thank you.
Mario R. (Guest)
on 2008-10-17 20:10
I found the problem.
The language of the client and the server were different so I had to
change the value on the client side in regedit.

thank you.
Robert K. (Guest)
2008/10/17 Mario R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> I found the problem.
> The language of the client and the server were different so I had to
> change the value on the client side in regedit.

It's probably also a good idea to check character encoding of the
database and / or column because that affects how comparisons are done
and what characters you can store inside.

Kind regards

robert
Mario R. (Guest)
on 2008-10-20 13:52
How can I check the encoding, encode and decode?

Thanks.
Robert K. (Guest)
2008/10/20 Mario R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> How can I check the encoding, encode and decode?

If the column type is NVARCHAR2 it's Unicode.  For more info, please
check Oracle's docs:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/serve...

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/serve...

Cheers