Forum: Ruby on Rails Online Storefront Credit Cards

David (Guest)
Does anyone have any experience with processing credit cards that can
give me some advice on how to handle this situation?  I am looking to
create an online art venue where members can each have his/her own
online store front.  I want to be able to handle credit card
transactions in such a way that each member can receive payment for
the art that they sell.  It seems that most credit card verification
sites such as Authorize.net are set up so that you are the
storefront.  Im wondering what the best route is for managing credit
card transactions for an array of storefronts all under your
umbrella.  Any input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 4:59 PM, David <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> ... an online art venue where members can each have his/her own
> online store front.  I want to be able to handle credit card
> transactions in such a way that each member can receive payment for
> the art that they sell.  It seems that most credit card verification
> sites such as Authorize.net are set up so that you are the
> storefront.  Im wondering what the best route is for managing credit
> card transactions for an array of storefronts all under your
> umbrella.

So what's wrong with your having a merchant account, processing
the payments and distributing the money?

That's what a brick-and-mortar gallery does. And it's a value-add for
your vendors who don't want to set up a merchant account of their
own, for whatever reason. Keeping track of who sold what shouldn't
be too tough :-)

FWIW,
David (Guest)
Yea, thats what I thought, but I spoke with Authorize.net on the phone
today and they are saying that the only way to distribute the payment
is to go through email receipts by hand.  I need an automated way of
transfering these funds to individual checking accounts.

On Oct 14, 10:28 pm, "Hassan S." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:57 PM, David <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> Yea, thats what I thought, but I spoke with Authorize.net on the phone
> today and they are saying that the only way to distribute the payment
> is to go through email receipts by hand.  I need an automated way of
> transfering these funds to individual checking accounts.

What?? That's ridiculous. When you submit a transaction, you get a
confirming response back. You save that response in your DB and
you've got all the information you need.

Yes, you probably want to review the final email confirmations for
any after-the-fact rejections (I've never seen one).

But "go(ing) through email receipts by hand"? Nah.

Now getting electronic access to all your vendors' checking accounts
might be another story -- haven't tackled that one. :-)

HTH,

H*
Benjamin C. (Guest)
for
your payment gateway and you got ACH processing, you could collect the
funds
from customers via your merchant account, then disburse payments via
ACH,
directly to checking accounts, all via ActiveMerchant.  This is exactly
what
I did in an app similar to yours for photographers:
http://www.nextproof.com/
--
Benjamin C.
http://railskits.com/ - Ready-made Rails code