Forum: Radiant CMS Quick question about database.yml and Passenger on local machine

Nate T. (Guest)
I have finally joined the cool kids and started using Passenger on my
laptop
for my development sites. But I have one tiny problem, Passenger wants
use my production db settings instead of my development settings. How
can I
pimp-slap Passenger to get it to use the dev settings?

Relavant info:
Ubuntu 8.04
Rails 2.1.1
Radiant 0.6.9
Passenger gem v. 2.0.3

Thanks,

Nate
Simon Rönnqvist (Guest)
Hi!

Why would you want to use Passenger in your development environment?
Isn't mongrel (or maybe even webrick) the most appropriate for that?
Then you don't need to have apache running either.

   cheers, Simon
john (Guest)
In your virtual host for the site try adding something like

RailsEnv development
Nate T. (Guest)
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Simon Rönnqvist

>  Hi!
>
> Why would you want to use Passenger in your development environment? Isn't
> mongrel (or maybe even webrick) the most appropriate for that? Then you
> don't need to have apache running either.

On the one hand I want to start playing with it before I start depending
on
it for my production sites, on the other, I can run multiple development
sites at once. I normally work on 2 or 3 sites each day and I am always
forgetting to stop mongrel then go to the new site then start it up
again,
rinse, repeat. I was talking with somebody at a REST training session
and he
swore by the Passenger setup, so I figured I'd give it a try.

~Nate
Marlon M. (Guest)
Plus, if you get the passenger pane for OSX, it makes creating new
sites really simple, just drag an app directory onto the panel.  Does
all the apache config for you.
Simon Rönnqvist (Guest)
On Oct 15, 2008, at 24:41 , Nate T. wrote:

> swore by the Passenger setup, so I figured I'd give it a try.
>

> ~Nate

You can have several instances of mongrel running in parallel, you
just need to have them using different ports. Your other reasons for
using it may be valid though, I don't know.

Radiant mailing list
Post:   removed_email_address@domain.invalid