Forum: Ruby User home

Kless (Guest)
Is there any method to get the value of user home which in Linux would
be stored in $HOME?

Valid for windows and mac osx too
Jesús Gabriel y Galán (Guest)
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Kless <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Is there any method to get the value of user home which in Linux would
> be stored in $HOME?

ENV['HOME']

> Valid for windows and mac osx too

Not sure...

Jesus.
Kless (Guest)
On 14 oct, 17:31, Jesús Gabriel y Galán <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Kless <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > Is there any method to get the value of user home which in Linux would
> > be stored in $HOME?
>
> ENV['HOME']
>
> > Valid for windows and mac osx too
>
> Not sure...
After of questioning on IRC:

It's valid too on OSX.

In Windows it's not always set, usually only if your system is on a
domain. But can be used ENV['USERPROFILE'] if ENV['HOME'] isn't set
and you'll be okay most of the time.
Henrik -. (Guest)
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Jesús Gabriel y Galán
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Kless <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Is there any method to get the value of user home which in Linux would
>> be stored in $HOME?
>
> ENV['HOME']
>
>> Valid for windows and mac osx too

Works fine in OS X.

Rails has a Dir.user_home which is more complicated. No idea if that
works on Windows, but the source is here:
http://noobkit.com/show/ruby/rails/rails-stable/ra...