Forum: Ruby ERB: Format for trim_mode string

Farrel L. (Guest)
In the documentation for ERB.new
(http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/erb/rdoc/cla...)
it says:

"If trim_mode is passed a String containing one or more of the
following modifiers, ERB will adjust its code generation as listed:

    %  enables Ruby code processing for lines beginning with %
    <> omit newline for lines starting with <% and ending in %>
    >  omit newline for lines ending in %>"

What is the format for this trim_mode string? I specifically want to
use the % and <> modes. I tried passing through "%<>" but it doesn't
seem to be working.

Farrel
Wu J. (Guest)
on 2009-02-02 14:03
Farrel L. wrote:
> In the documentation for ERB.new
> (http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/erb/rdoc/cla...)
> it says:
>
> "If trim_mode is passed a String containing one or more of the
> following modifiers, ERB will adjust its code generation as listed:
>
>     %  enables Ruby code processing for lines beginning with %
>     <> omit newline for lines starting with <% and ending in %>
>     >  omit newline for lines ending in %>"
>
> What is the format for this trim_mode string? I specifically want to
> use the % and <> modes. I tried passing through "%<>" but it doesn't
> seem to be working.
>
> Farrel

maybe your <% ruby code %> must start at the beginning of the line,there
mustn't be no more white space.