Forum: Ruby Using Net SSH to issue command on remote windows XP

Saritha Y. (Guest)

I want to issue window's DOS commands like "dir, cp, del..."
on a remote Windows XP machine.
I have installed OPENSSH on the remote windows machine
and trying to use the Net SSH.
I cannot get any of the DOS commands to work on the remote machine.

Any help ????

Thanks
Saritha
Sniper A. (Guest)
on 2008-10-14 10:56
Saritha Y. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to issue window's DOS commands like "dir, cp, del..."
> on a remote Windows XP machine.
> I have installed OPENSSH on the remote windows machine
> and trying to use the Net SSH.
> I cannot get any of the DOS commands to work on the remote machine.
>
> Any help ????
>
> Thanks
> Saritha

what is your source(current) machine is it linux or windows ?
Saritha Y. (Guest)
on 2008-10-14 11:39
Pokkai D. wrote:
> Saritha Y. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to issue window's DOS commands like "dir, cp, del..."
>> on a remote Windows XP machine.
>> I have installed OPENSSH on the remote windows machine
>> and trying to use the Net SSH.
>> I cannot get any of the DOS commands to work on the remote machine.
>>
>> Any help ????
>>
>> Thanks
>> Saritha
>
> what is your source(current) machine is it linux or windows ?

My source/Current machine is Windows
Heesob P. (Guest)

2008/10/14 Saritha Y. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Thanks
> Saritha

Try psexec.exe ( download at http://live.sysinternals.com/psexec.exe )

You can do remote command like this:

psexec \\192.168.0.1 -u administrator -p password cmd.exe /c dir

Regards,

Park H.
Saritha Y. (Guest)
on 2008-10-14 19:33
Heesob P. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/10/14 Saritha Y. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>> Thanks
>> Saritha
>
> Try psexec.exe ( download at http://live.sysinternals.com/psexec.exe )
>
> You can do remote command like this:
>
> psexec \\192.168.0.1 -u administrator -p password cmd.exe /c dir
>
> Regards,
>
> Park H.

Thanks Park !

Can Net SSH be used if OPENSSH is installed for windows ?
since I'm using ruby Net SSH for issuing commands on remote linux
machines.
Is there any utility in ruby to issue command on remote windows machine.

Thanks
saritha
Heesob P. (Guest)
2008/10/15 Saritha Y. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> machines.
> Is there any utility in ruby to issue command on remote windows machine.

What's your problem with Net SSH?

1. Install OpenSSH server

2. Create an user account for SSH

3. In OpenSSH bin folder
mkpasswd -l user >> ../etc/passwd

4. Run following code.

require 'net/ssh'
host = '127.0.0.1'
user = 'test'
password = 'test'
command = 'cmd.exe /c dir'
 Net::SSH.start( host, user, :password=> password) do |ssh|
    puts "Opened Connection to #{host}"
    puts ssh.exec!( "#{command}")
    puts "Closed Connection to #{host}"
  end

Regards,

Park H.
Robert D. (Guest)
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Saritha Y.

Sure can
the only question is what shell you will use than! SSH is only the
transport layer, the application layer still is a different story.
I guess this is often forgotten when using it between 2 Linux boxes as
the application layers are so obviously compatible...

However if you installed openSSH with cygwin your shell should be bash
would this do? IIRC there is nothing DOS can do what bash cannot.

HTH
Robert

--
C'est véritablement utile puisque c'est joli.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Saritha Y. (Guest)
on 2008-10-16 00:59
Robert D. wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Saritha Y.
>
> Sure can
> the only question is what shell you will use than! SSH is only the
> transport layer, the application layer still is a different story.
> I guess this is often forgotten when using it between 2 Linux boxes as
> the application layers are so obviously compatible...
>
> However if you installed openSSH with cygwin your shell should be bash
> would this do? IIRC there is nothing DOS can do what bash cannot.
>
> HTH
> Robert
>
> --
> C'est v�ritablement utile puisque c'est joli.
>
> Antoine de Saint Exup�ry

I have done as quoted by Park.
My ssh.exec! is not recognized.
Here is the error I get.

Opened Connection to
10.10.12.21c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/net-ssh-1.1.2/lib/net/ssh/session.rb:199:in
`method_missing'
: undefined method `exec!' for #<Net::SSH::Session:0x34ad4d8>
(NoMethodError)
Heesob P. (Guest)
2008/10/16 Saritha Y. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>> However if you installed openSSH with cygwin your shell should be bash
> I have done as quoted by Park.
> My ssh.exec! is not recognized.
> Here is the error I get.
>
> Opened Connection to
> 10.10.12.21c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/net-ssh-1.1.2/lib/net/ssh/session.rb:199:in
> `method_missing'
> : undefined method `exec!' for #<Net::SSH::Session:0x34ad4d8>
> (NoMethodError)

I tested with net-ssh-2.0.4
BTW, gem install net-ssh
failed with Zlib::BufError
So I installed it by downloading zip file.

Regards,

Park H.