Forum: Ruby Ruby audio API (hopefully in a new thread, sorry for the duplication)

Joe Wölfel (Guest)
Hi All,

I'm looking for a Ruby audio API.  Is there a good one already
available or is anyone in the process of working on one?   I'd like
one that is easy to install and manage, such as a gem with no or
automatic dependencies.  Also, I'd like a liberal license, at least
as liberal as LGPL or better yet BSD because I'd like to eventually
give away the tools I'm working on with the fewest possible
restrictions.

If I can't find one I'm considering writing one using something like
PortAudio.   Would that make sense?  If I were to do that does anyone
have any suggestions for how it should be done to make it work best
with Ruby?

Thanks,
Joe
Ben B. (Guest)
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008, Joe Wlfel wrote:
> I'm looking for a Ruby audio API.  Is there a good one already available or
> is anyone in the process of working on one?   I'd like one that is easy to
> install and manage, such as a gem with no or automatic dependencies.  Also,
> I'd like a liberal license, at least as liberal as LGPL or better yet BSD
> because I'd like to eventually give away the tools I'm working on with the
> fewest possible restrictions.

Let's start with this... what do you want it to do?  Do you want to
decode audio files?  Encode them?  Play back audio?  Synthesis?  Record?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Ben
Joe Wölfel (Guest)
On 13 oct. 08, at 16:15, Ben B. wrote:

>> with the
>> fewest possible restrictions.
>
> Let's start with this... what do you want it to do?  Do you want to
> decode audio files?  Encode them?  Play back audio?  Synthesis?
> Record?
>
> What are you trying to accomplish?
>
> Ben

I'd like to use it for capturing audio for speech recognition.
Accurate control of the microphone is important.  It needs to be
clear when the mic is on and when it's off.  Storing audio in raw
formats is ok, but it would be preferable to read and write in a
lossless compressed format.