Forum: Ruby spreadsheet 0.6.0 Released

Hannes W. (Guest)
spreadsheet version 0.6.0 has been released!

* <http://spreadsheet.rubyforge.org>

The Spreadsheet Library is designed to read and write Spreadsheet
Documents.  As of version 0.6.0, only Microsoft Excel compatible
spreadsheets are supported. Spreadsheet is a combination/complete
rewrite of the Spreadsheet::Excel Library by Daniel J. Berger and the
ParseExcel Library by Hannes W.. Spreadsheet can read, write and
modify Spreadsheet Documents.

Changes:

### 0.6.0 / 2008-10-13
Initial upload of the shiny new Spreadsheet Gem after three weeks of
grueling labor in the dark binary mines of Little-Endian Biff and long
hours spent polishing the surfaces of documentation:

* Significantly improved memory-efficiency when reading large Excel
  Files
* Limited Spreadsheet modification support
* Improved handling of String Encodings
* Runs on top of the ruby-ole Library

Roadmap:

0.7.0: Improved Format support/Styles
0.7.1: Document Modification: Formats/Styles
0.8.0: Formula Support
0.8.1: Document Modification: Formulas
0.9.0: Write-Support: BIFF5
1.0.0: Ruby 1.9 Support;
       Remove backward compatibility code

Backward Compatibility:

Spreadsheet is designed to be a drop-in replacement for both
ParseExcel and Spreadsheet::Excel. It provides a number of
require-paths for backward compatibility with its predecessors. If you
have been working with ParseExcel, you have probably used one or more
of the following:

  require 'parseexcel'
  require 'parseexcel/parseexcel'
  require 'parseexcel/parser'

Either of the above will define the ParseExcel.parse method as a
facade to Spreadsheet.open. Additionally, this will alter Spreadsheets
behavior to define the ParseExcel::Worksheet::Cell class and fill each
parsed Row with instances thereof, which in turn provide ParseExcel's
Cell#to_s(encoding) and Cell#date methods.
You will have to manually uninstall the parseexcel library.

If you are upgrading from Spreadsheet::Excel, you were probably using
Workbook#add_worksheet and Worksheet#write, write_row or write_column.
Use the following to load the code which provides them:

  require 'spreadsheet/excel'

Again, you will have to manually uninstall the spreadsheet-excel
library.

If you perform fancy formatting, you may run into trouble as the
Format implementation has changed considerably. If that is the case,
please drop me a line at removed_email_address@domain.invalid and I will try to
help
you. Don't forget to include the offending code-snippet!

Enjoy!

Cheers
Hannes
James H. (Guest)
ParseExcel mentioned somewhere that it doesn't support formulae.  Does
Spreadsheet?

James
Mark T. (Guest)
On Oct 17, 1:00 pm, James H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> [Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>
> ParseExcel mentioned somewhere that it doesn't support formulae.  Does
> Spreadsheet?

From the above post:

Roadmap:

0.7.0: Improved Format support/Styles
0.7.1: Document Modification: Formats/Styles
0.8.0: Formula Support
0.8.1: Document Modification: Formulas
0.9.0: Write-Support: BIFF5
1.0.0: Ruby 1.9 Support;
       Remove backward compatibility code
James H. (Guest)
Hah.  Sorry about that.  It seems I need to get a stronger cup of
coffee.

James
Emma (Guest)
Hi, when I do this:

book = Spreadsheet::Workbook.new
sheet = book.create_worksheet
sheet.row(0).replace [1, 2, 3.4]
book.write "excel.xls"

And open the generated file, Excel show the error: "data could be
lost", and when it open the sheet it contains a wrong number in cell
C1... I'm doing something wrong?

(Tested on spreadsheet-0.6.1.9)

Thanks in advance.
Hannes W. (Guest)
Emma,

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:59 AM, Emma <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> And open the generated file, Excel show the error: "data could be
> lost", and when it open the sheet it contains a wrong number in cell
> C1... I'm doing something wrong?

alas, this is a known issue:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...

I'm still working on it, and will get back to you as soon as I've fixed
it.

cheers
Hannes
sumesh b. (Guest)
on 2011-08-04 14:49
Hannes W. wrote in post #756952:
> Emma,
>
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:59 AM, Emma <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> And open the generated file, Excel show the error: "data could be
>> lost", and when it open the sheet it contains a wrong number in cell
>> C1... I'm doing something wrong?
>
> alas, this is a known issue:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...

> I'm still working on it, and will get back to you as soon as I've fixed
> it.
>
> cheers
> Hannes

Any updates?
Chuck R. (Guest)
On Aug 4, 2011, at 5:49 AM, sumesh b. wrote:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...

>> I'm still working on it, and will get back to you as soon as I've fixed
>> it.
>>
>> cheers
>> Hannes
>
> Any updates?

I'm going to teach you how to fish.

If you go to https://rubygems.org/ (where pretty much every available
gem is listed) you may search for that gem. The results will likely
surprise and please you.

cr