Forum: Ruby on Rails HABTM & CheckBoxes

Davo (Guest)
I'm trying to achieve something that I assume is fairly common?

I have a Category table and a Brand Table.
When I create a new Category I want a list of checkboxes to appear,
and when checked they update the category_brand table.

Here are the models.
class Category < ActiveRecord::Base
  has_and_belongs_to_many :brands
end
class Brand < ActiveRecord::Base
  has_and_belongs_to_many :categories
end

Here is the view to add a new category.
<h1>Add a new Category</h1>
<% form_for(@category) do |f| %>
  <%= f.error_messages %>
    <%= f.label :name %><br />
    <%= f.text_field :name %>
  <h3>Add Brands required for this new category</h3>
  <ul>
  <% for b in @brands do -%>
    <li>
    <%= check_box_tag "categories[brand_ids][]", "#{b.id}" -%>
    <%= "#{b.name}" -%>
  </li>
  <% end -%>
  </ul>
    <%= f.submit "Create" %>
<% end %>
<%= link_to 'Back', categories_path %>

I have read all the documentation & tutorials I can find on this and
it is not clear to me if anything has to be done in the controller?
Some examples imply it happens because of the association and other
example have code such as:
 @category.brands = brand.find(@params[:brand_ids]) if
@params[:brand_ids]
Which produces an error for me..

TIA - Dave P.
Sniper A. (Guest)
on 2008-10-13 09:27
Davo wrote:

>  @category.brands = brand.find(@params[:brand_ids]) if @params[:categories][:brand_ids]

check this
Sniper A. (Guest)
on 2008-10-13 09:28
Pokkai D. wrote:
> Davo wrote:
>
>>  @category.brands = brand.find(@params[:categories][:brand_ids]) if
@params[:categories][:brand_ids]

> check this
Davo (Guest)
All working, no code required in controller
( other than code mentioned in RailsCasts HABTM
http://railscasts.com/episodes/17-habtm-checkboxes   )

I had the naming wrong for the brands_categories table !

cheers, Dave

On Oct 13, 1:28 pm, Pokkai D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>