Forum: Ruby on Rails how would you know how to call this rails method (select_all) this starting point of it's Rails API

Greg H. (Guest)
I'm curious.   If you saw the Rails "select_all(sql, name = nil)" method
(rerfer
http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Co...),
and wanted to use it, how would you really know how to use it and call
it
from this API doco?

I know from googling that you can call it from within a model by going
"ActiveRecord::Base.connection.select_all(sql_string)", but how would I
have
worked this out from the API doco.  Within the API page for the method
it
says it's within Module
"ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::DatabaseStatements".

Thanks
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Oct 12, 7:09 am, "Greg H." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm curious.   If you saw the Rails "select_all(sql, name = nil)" method
> (rerferhttp://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Co......),
> and wanted to use it, how would you really know how to use it and call
> it
> from this API doco?
>
> I know from googling that you can call it from within a model by going
> "ActiveRecord::Base.connection.select_all(sql_string)", but how would I have
> worked this out from the API doco.

That's just me, but it seems kind of obvious to me. The second
parameter is a bit more mysterious but if it has a default value
chances are you can just ignore it. the fact that the first parameter
is called sql strongly implies that you should give it some sql.

Fred

> Within the API page for the method it
> says it's within Module
Greg H. (Guest)
how is it obvious to your Frederick can I ask - how would you know these
methods will end up where they do - I'm guessing (but might be wrong)
you
would have to look through Rails code to find out how it uses/mixes in
the
methods as the framework instantiates itself.  If I'm correct here this
would be normal its not obvious to see how you would call the method...
Am I on the right track here?

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 7:59 PM, Frederick C. <
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Oct 12, 11:38 pm, "Greg H." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> how is it obvious to your Frederick can I ask - how would you know these
> methods will end up where they do - I'm guessing (but might be wrong) you
> would have to look through Rails code to find out how it uses/mixes in the
> methods as the framework instantiates itself.  If I'm correct here this
> would be normal its not obvious to see how you would call the method...
> Am I on the right track here?

I suppose there is some prior knowledge or a bit of experimentation to
know that  connection adapters are split up into those various
modules.

Fred