Forum: Ruby Wrong file encoding for date.rb on ubuntu

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Georg L. (Guest)
on 2008-10-11 14:55
After upgrading ruby via ubuntu package manager the encoding of the
date.rb seems to be wrong, so there are a whole bunch of strange chars
inside the file.

OS Ubuntu hardy

ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i486-linux]


I dont know where this issue is comming from. Maybe it is related to my
german ubuntu setup or to some fileencoding changes in the ubuntu or
ruby repos.
I had a similar issue a month ago with a file from a gem (forgot where
it was)

I opened the date.rb in geany and it says the encoding is iso. To fix
the issue i went onto a windows virtualbox and opened the date.rb (from
win ruby install) with notepad++ and copied the utf-8 encoded content
into my lokal date.rb


Posting this issue here to see whether or not i`m the only one.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.