Forum: Ruby on Rails background jobs

Jeff M. (Guest)
on 2008-10-11 02:28
Hey everybody,
 I'm running InstantRails 2.1.0 under Windows Server 2003 and I'm
looking for a plugin or something that will allow me to schedule and
complete long-running tasks in the background. I was trying to use
backgrounDRB until I realized that I can't use it with Windows...

What I want to do is pretty basic. My app has an "autosync" section
where the user specifies the time interval between running the task. To
run the task, all I need to do is Autosync.new. Now I just need to
actually tie them together with a scheduler.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to do this? Which plugin or method
is the best?

Thanks, any and all help is appreciated!
 - Jeff M.
Philip H. (Guest)
On Oct 10, 2008, at 3:28 PM, Jeff M. wrote:

> run the task, all I need to do is Autosync.new. Now I just need to
> actually tie them together with a scheduler.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions on how to do this? Which plugin or method
> is the best?

No idea if these run on windows, but several of the recent railscasts
talk about exactly this.

http://railscasts.com/

#127, #128, and #129.

-philip