Forum: Ruby mkmf generates corrupt makefile in 1.8.6

Avdi G. (Guest)
I just noticed (because libxml-ruby wouldn't compile) that the mkmf.rb
in my version of Ruby 1.8.6 has a bug.  The generated makefile
prefixes spaces instead of tabs for a couple of the generated make
tasks.  Specifically, the clean/distclean tasks.

It appears to have been addressed in 1.9 trunk (although oddly, the
same tasks now use two tabs where all the others use one).

Posting this for two reasons:
1) Be aware if you are still on 1.8.6 that if you see a Make error
complaining about spaces instead of tabs while compiling an extension,
it's probably mkmf's fault and not the extensions'.

2) Does anyone know if this has been addressed in 1.8.7 or any of the
1.8.6 patches?

--
Avdi

Home: http://avdi.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/avdi
Journal: http://avdi.livejournal.com
Nobuyoshi N. (Guest)

At Sat, 11 Oct 2008 01:07:33 +0900,
Avdi G. wrote in [ruby-talk:317345]:
> I just noticed (because libxml-ruby wouldn't compile) that the mkmf.rb
> in my version of Ruby 1.8.6 has a bug.  The generated makefile
> prefixes spaces instead of tabs for a couple of the generated make
> tasks.  Specifically, the clean/distclean tasks.

from where and how did you installed it?  The file in the SVN
repository doesn't seem to have had such issue.
Haven't you edited it or pasted it from anywhere?
Nobuyoshi N. (Guest)

At Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:57:38 +0900,
Nobuyoshi N. wrote in [ruby-talk:317382]:
> > I just noticed (because libxml-ruby wouldn't compile) that the mkmf.rb
> > in my version of Ruby 1.8.6 has a bug.  The generated makefile
> > prefixes spaces instead of tabs for a couple of the generated make
> > tasks.  Specifically, the clean/distclean tasks.
>
> from where and how did you installed it?  The file in the SVN
> repository doesn't seem to have had such issue.
> Haven't you edited it or pasted it from anywhere?

Anyway, I've modified those lines as preventive measures
against such confusions.
Avdi G. (Guest)
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Nobuyoshi N.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> from where and how did you installed it?

MacPorts.

> Haven't you edited it or pasted it from anywhere?

Not that I recall.