Forum: Ruby on Rails reply quoting in comments

Matt H. (Guest)
Hi all,

I've got a page that lets users leave comments about the page content.
Adding comments is working fine and I will add edit/delete functionality
later.

I want people to have the choice whether to add a fresh comment or reply
to a previous one. What is the rails way to deal with quoted reply
comments?

I've got an action which can set the body of the new comment to that of
the quoted one, but how should I deal with the quote display? Should I
prefix each line with a ">" which means splitting long lines into
shorter ones, or should I use some sort of BBcode style [quote] markup?

Grateful for your ideas

Thanks

Matt
Matt H. (Guest)
Matt H. wrote:
> the quoted one, but how should I deal with the quote display? Should I
> prefix each line with a ">" which means splitting long lines into
> shorter ones, or should I use some sort of BBcode style [quote] markup?

I have just about worked it out using redcloth and blockquote "bq."'s
but nesting quotes isn't working, it isn't marking up the fact there's
nested blockquote's.

Is there another way around this?