Forum: Ruby minitest 1.3.0 Released

Ryan D. (Guest)
minitest version 1.3.0 has been released!

* <http://rubyforge.org/projects/bfts>

minitest/unit is a small and fast replacement for ruby's huge and slow
test/unit. This is meant to be clean and easy to use both as a regular
test writer and for language implementors that need a minimal set of
methods to bootstrap a working unit test suite.

mini/spec is a functionally complete spec engine.

mini/mock, by Steven B., is a beautifully tiny mock object framework.

(This package was called miniunit once upon a time)

Changes:

### 1.3.0 / 2008-10-09

* 2 major enhancements:

   * renamed to minitest and pulled out test/unit compatibility.
   * mini/test.rb is now minitest/unit.rb, everything else maps
directly.

* 12 minor enhancements:

   * assert_match now checks that act can call =~ and converts exp to a
     regexp only if needed.
   * Added assert_send... seems useless to me tho.
   * message now forces to string... ruby-core likes to pass classes
and arrays :(
   * Added -v handling and switched to @verbose from $DEBUG.
   * Verbose output now includes test class name and adds a sortable
running time!
   * Switched message generation into procs for message deferment.
   * Added skip and renamed fail to flunk.
   * Improved output failure messages for assert_instance_of,
assert_kind_of
   * Improved output for assert_respond_to, assert_same.
   * at_exit now exits false instead of errors+failures.
   * Made the tests happier and more readable imhfo.
   * Switched index(s) == 0 to rindex(s, 0) on nobu's suggestion.
Faster.

* 5 bug fixes:

   * 1.9: Added encoding normalization in mu_pp.
   * 1.9: Fixed backtrace filtering (BTs are expanded now)
   * Added back exception_details to assert_raises. DOH.
   * Fixed shadowed variable in mock.rb
   * Fixed stupid muscle memory message bug in assert_send.

* <http://rubyforge.org/projects/bfts>
Lin Jen-Shin (Guest)
I am sorry, but I encounter a dependency problem.

"rfeedparser" depends on "character-encodings",
and "hpricot" would load 'encoding/character/utf-8' if
available through:

begin
  require 'encoding/character/utf-8'
rescue LoadError
end

Then ::Encoding would be defined, and there's no
default_external in ::Encoding!

Err, do you mind check RUBY_VERSION? or
if Encoding.respond_to?(:default_external) or
something like that?

Thanks!
Ryan D. (Guest)
On Nov 5, 2008, at 01:00 , Lin Jen-Shin wrote:

> I am sorry, but I encounter a dependency problem.
>
> "rfeedparser" depends on "character-encodings",
> and "hpricot" would load 'encoding/character/utf-8' if
> available through:

what does this have to do with minitest?
Lin Jen-Shin (Guest)
On Nov 5, 5:03 pm, Ryan D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2008, at 01:00 , Lin Jen-Shin wrote:
>
> > I am sorry, but I encounter a dependency problem.
>
> > "rfeedparser" depends on "character-encodings",
> > and "hpricot" would load 'encoding/character/utf-8' if
> > available through:
>
> what does this have to do with minitest?

in minitest-1.3.0/lib/minitest/unit.rb: 43

s = s.force_encoding(Encoding.default_external) if defined? Encoding

minitest called Encoding.default_external if
Encoding was defined, but if hpricot was required,
and character-encodings was installed, Encoding
would be defined even if there's no default_external.

My tests failed because there's no default_external in
Encoding.

Sorry for the noise if this was not an issue in trunk,
or you do think it should be fixed in character-encodings.

Thanks anyway.