Forum: Ruby stickler 0.1.0 Released

Jeremy H. (Guest)
stickler version 0.1.0 has been released.

  gem install stickler

http://copiousfreetime.rubyforge.org/stickler

Stickler is a tool to organize and maintain an internal gem
repository.

At times it is useful to have complete control over the availability of
the gems for your testing, staging and production environments.  In
these
cases you probably do not want to accidentally type 'gem update' and get
a new untested version of a gem installed on your machines.  This is
where Stickler helps.

Configure stickler with the the names and versions of the gems you
require for your deployment and it will organize and setup everything
that is necessary for a standard web server to function as your internal
gem distribution server.

{{ Release notes for Version 0.1.0 }}

*
http://copiousfreetime.org/articles/2008/10/09/man...
* Initial public release

enjoy,

-jeremy
Eric H. (Guest)
On Oct 9, 2008, at 23:22 PM, Jeremy H. wrote:
> stickler version 0.1.0 has been released.
>
>  gem install stickler
>
> http://copiousfreetime.rubyforge.org/stickler
>
> Stickler is a tool to organize and maintain an internal gem
> repository.

Looks like a nice tool, some notes:

~> doesn't mean "Approximately greater than", it's described here:

http://blog.zenspider.com/2008/10/rubygems-howto-p...

but to save you a click works like this:

> 3.y.z         "~> 3.0"
> 3.0.z         "~> 3.0.0"
> 3.5.z to <4.0 "~> 3.5"
> 3.5.z to <3.6 "~> 3.5.0"

Which is clearer than my english description, "matches a version from
the specified release up to but not including a release with a higher
version in the second most specific dot".  (Clumsy, yes)

> found = source_specs.select do | spec |
>   dependency =~ Gem::Dependency.new( spec.name, spec.version )
> end

In a future version of RubyGems, I'm going to make Gem::Dependency#=~
and Gem::Specification#=~ work with each other and duck type it so you
don't have to go through that extra step.
Jeremy H. (Guest)
On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 04:14:41AM +0900, Eric H. wrote:
> Looks like a nice tool, some notes:
Thanks.

> Which is clearer than my english description, "matches a version from the
> specified release up to but not including a release with a higher version
> in the second most specific dot".  (Clumsy, yes)

Yes, I understand what it means, and it is always hard to describe.
That chart
is a very nice demonstration.  I was trying to figure out the best way
to put it
concisely and ended up coping the description from
http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/16#page74, that link is also
displayed at
the interactive prompt.

"Approximately greater than" is definitely not what it is.  How about
"Pessimistically Greater Than" or  "Greater Than Up to a Point"?  Any
other
suggestions?

>> found = source_specs.select do | spec |
>>   dependency =~ Gem::Dependency.new( spec.name, spec.version )
>> end
>
> In a future version of RubyGems, I'm going to make Gem::Dependency#=~ and
> Gem::Specification#=~ work with each other and duck type it so you don't
> have to go through that extra step.

Thanks, that will be useful.

enjoy,

-jeremy
Martin DeMello (Guest)
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Jeremy H.

> "Approximately greater than" is definitely not what it is.  How about
> "Pessimistically Greater Than" or  "Greater Than Up to a Point"?  Any other
> suggestions?

"Greater than, but within the same version"
"Boundedly greater than"
"Compatibly greater than"

martin
Ryan D. (Guest)
On Oct 10, 2008, at 13:48 , Jeremy H. wrote:

> "Pessimistically Greater Than" or  "Greater Than Up to a Point"?
> Any other
> suggestions?

"automatic range"?

um... in hindsight, why didn't we use range notation?

3.y.z         "3...4"
3.0.z         "3.0...4"
3.5.z to <4.0 "3.5...4"
3.5.z to <3.6 "3.5...3.6"

or, because the dots are a tad ambiguous, dashes:

3.y.z         "3-4"
3.0.z         "3.0-4"
3.5.z to <4.0 "3.5-4"
3.5.z to <3.6 "3.5-3.6"
Pablo Q. (Guest)
Hi Jeremy,

I installed it but I got this error trying to setup the repository. I
fixed
it just installing progressbar (gem install progressbar).

Great work. It seems useful in my case for the company that I work to
make
deployment in  new servers easier.

castor@castor-laptop:~$ stickler setup /home/castor/repos/
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require': no such file to load -- progressbar (LoadError)
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`require'
    from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/stickler-0.1.0/lib/stickler/source.rb:3
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`require'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/stickler-0.1.0/lib/stickler.rb:15
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`require'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/stickler-0.1.0/bin/stickler:8
    from /usr/bin/stickler:19:in `load'
    from /usr/bin/stickler:19

2008/10/10 Ryan D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Jeremy H. (Guest)
On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 01:38:21AM +0900, Pablo Q. wrote:
> `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- progressbar (LoadError)
>     from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `require'
>     from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/stickler-0.1.0/bin/stickler:8
>     from /usr/bin/stickler:19:in `load'
>     from /usr/bin/stickler:19

Yup, bug from when I was testing using progress bar for showing
progress.
I never removed the requires.  a bug fix release will be sent out today.