Forum: RSpec Solution for autospec not working

Dennis S. (Guest)
Hello,

I have noticed that, since version 1.1.4, autotest/autospec does not run
any
of my specs.  After getting a hint from
http://b.logi.cx/2008/10/9/non-auto-spec, I dove a bit deeper into the
code
and found that spec is no longer being run by ruby.

I monkey-patched Autotest::Rspec in my .autotest file so that spec is
again
executed (using code taken from version 1.1.4).  autospec is now working
for
me.  Applicable code from my .autotest file: http://pastie.org/289183

github shows that the spec_command was removed on 7/12, with the
comment: "removed
spec_command from autotest/rspec (ruby works just fine)". See:
http://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec/commit/1aca72d0...

Does autospec work for anyone?  Does this issue only affect those of us
using Windows?
Luis L. (Guest)
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 1:17 AM, Dennis S.
> http://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec/commit/1aca72d0...
>
> Does autospec work for anyone?  Does this issue only affect those of us
> using Windows?

Works here:

Luis@KEORE (D:\Users\Luis\projects\area17\a17_redux\a17_redux.git)
$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114) [i386-mingw32]

Luis@KEORE (D:\Users\Luis\projects\area17\a17_redux\a17_redux.git)
$ spec -v
rspec 1.1.8

Luis@KEORE (D:\Users\Luis\projects\area17\a17_redux\a17_redux.git)
$ gem list ZenTest

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

ZenTest (3.10.0)

====
Luis@KEORE (D:\Users\Luis\projects\area17\a17_redux\a17_redux.git)
$ ruby script\about
About your application's environment
Ruby version              1.8.6 (i386-mingw32)
RubyGems version          1.2.0
Rails version             2.1.1

====

My .autotest file:

http://pastie.org/289187

(exceptions are at ~/.autotest while other stuff is in the RAILS_ROOT of
my app.

HTH,
--
Luis L.
AREA 17

C:\Users\Dennis>ruby -v

C:\Users\Dennis>spec -v
rspec 1.1.8

C:\Users\Dennis>gem list ZenTest

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

ZenTest (3.10.0)

--
Dennis S.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> My setup is similar, except I'm developing a Ruby script as opposed to a
> Rails applications, thus no script/about output:
> C:\Users\Dennis>ruby -v
> ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32]
> C:\Users\Dennis>spec -v
> rspec 1.1.8
> C:\Users\Dennis>gem list ZenTest
> *** LOCAL GEMS ***
> ZenTest (3.10.0)

I had the same problem while developming my scripts.

RSpec changed the way paths get loaded by autotest, so I'll suggest
you create a mappins in your .autotest file similar to the one from
rspec-rails, since seems the one in rspec no longer "maps" properly:

http://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec/tree/master/lib...

And this:

http://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec-rails/tree/mast...

I cannot find my customized version (for a console based MVC, it's on
backup now).

Or maybe I'm missing the need to set AUTOTEST and RSPEC env variables
first?

HTH,
--
Luis L.
AREA 17

--
Dennis S.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
David C. (Guest)
On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 1:41 AM, Dennis S.
> Luis,
> As you suggested, I created the mappings and autotest is now working as
> expected.  Thank you for your help.

Yes, Luis. Thank you, as always!

Cheers,
David