Forum: Ruby on Rails No Method Error when using a plugin

dangerp (Guest)
I'm at kind of a weird roadblock right now.  I'm fairly new at rails,
but what I am trying to do right now seems too simple to not work.  I
installed the "spawn" plugin using the following:

 ruby script/plugin install http://spawn.rubyforge.org/svn/spawn

I verified that the plugin was properly installed into vendor/plugins/
spawn.  I tried using the code snippets that the author provided:

spawn do
    logger.info("I feel sleepy...")
    sleep 11
    logger.info("Time to wake up!")
  end

and I get the error: undefined method "spawn".  From what I
understand, since it is in the plugins directory, I do not need to
require or otherwise initialize this plugin (although I did try
requiring it).  I am getting the same error in my application and when
using 'ruby script/console'

I don't see what I am doing wrong.  Does anyone have any ideas?
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 9 Oct 2008, at 05:10, dangerp wrote:

> spawn do
>
> I don't see what I am doing wrong.  Does anyone have any ideas?

A cursory glance at the code implies that you need to include Spawn.

Fred
dangerp (Guest)
I struggled with this for an hour, and finally found out that it works
if I put the include statement in the controller (I had it in the
model, where my code is).  I'm not sure what the mechanics are that
cause this, but at least I'll know for the future.

On Oct 9, 1:54 am, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Frederick C. (Guest)
Spawn is a module, the method you were interested in was a module in
that method therefore you need to include that module.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone