Forum: Ruby on Rails rake db:migrate hanging w/ oracle

Frank K. (Guest)
When I run rake db:migrate w/ oracle it hangs on the db:schema:dump
part and I am not sure why.

E:\work\sandbox\codeReview>rake db:migrate --trace
(in E:/work/sandbox/codeReview)
** Invoke db:migrate (first_time)
** Invoke environment (first_time)
** Execute environment
** Execute db:migrate
** Invoke db:schema:dump (first_time)
** Invoke environment
** Execute db:schema:dump

I think I configured my database.yml correctly.

development:
  adapter: oracle
  host: sid
  #database: sid
  username: foo
  password: 12345
  timeout: 5000

Note that it doesn't seem to matter whether I use host or database.

Also I was able to connect directly to my Oracle DB using Ruby and the
OCI8 driver.

E:\>ruby -r oci8 -e "OCI8.new('foo','12345','sid').exec('SELECT * from
users') do |r| puts r.join(' | ') ; end"

And I did install the activerecord-oracle-adapter.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Frank K. (Guest)
It turns out it is not hanging, it is just that the "Execute
db:schema:dump" phase takes a long time.  In my case it took ten
minutes because I had a bunch of tables from other applications in my
database.

-Frank

--
Frank K.