Forum: Ruby Auto-recognize links?

Josh P. (Guest)
on 2008-10-09 01:55
In PHP I've got a few functions that will turn data into links based on
if it recognizes "http://", "www." etc etc.

How can I do this with Ruby?

For instance, in a forums setting if a user posted a link to something
like http://example.com

It'd basically turn it into a clickable link:
<a
href="http://example.com">http://example.com<...
Ted H. (Guest)
on 2008-10-09 02:21
I think everything you'd need to do to validate and produce links should
be in the core URI class: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/URI.html

Josh P. wrote:
> In PHP I've got a few functions that will turn data into links based on
> if it recognizes "http://", "www." etc etc.
>
> How can I do this with Ruby?
>
> For instance, in a forums setting if a user posted a link to something
> like http://example.com
>
> It'd basically turn it into a clickable link:
> <a
> href="http://example.com">http://example.com<...
Henrik -. (Guest)
On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Ted H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> I think everything you'd need to do to validate and produce links should
> be in the core URI class: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/URI.html

Interesting, did not know that. Seems bad though:
URI.extract("Visit http://google.com/.")  # => ["http://google.com/."]

You could borrow code from Rails' auto_link() which handles that kind
of stuff better:
http://api.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActionView/Help...
(Guest)
On Oct 8, 6:09 pm, Henrik N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> >> It'd basically turn it into a clickable link:
> >> &lt;a
> >> href=&quot;http://example.com">http://example.com</a>
>
> > --

Have you looked at hpricot