Forum: Ruby on Rails 'Admin::UsersHelper' is already used problem

comopasta G. (Guest)

I'm getting the next error:

The name 'Admin::UsersHelper' is either already used in your application
or reserved by Ruby on Rails.

When trying to run:
ruby script/generate controller Admin::Users

I've done something similar with Rails 2.0 with no problems. I have
Rails 2.1.1 now.

Tried to google but found no hints. Just that I'm not the only one with
similar problem.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks
Scott N. (Guest)
i had the same problem. i am not sure what is causeing the error. what
i did was use a name different than users. i used
Admin::AccountsHelper which worked fine.

On Oct 7, 5:51 pm, comopasta Gr <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Erol F. (Guest)
On Oct 8, 5:51 am, comopasta Gr <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> I've done something similar with Rails 2.0 with no problems. I have
> Rails 2.1.1 now.
>
> Tried to google but found no hints. Just that I'm not the only one with
> similar problem.
>
> Any ideas how to fix it?
>
> Thanks
> --
Do you happen to have a model named Admin?

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Erol F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
>> When trying to run:
>> Thanks
>> --
>
> Try using:
>
> script/generate controller admin/users

--
Robby R.
Chief Evangelist, Partner

PLANET ARGON, LLC
design // development // hosting

http://www.planetargon.com/
http://www.robbyonrails.com/
aim: planetargon

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4068 [fax]
Erol F. (Guest)
On Oct 8, 1:37 pm, "Robby R." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Do you happen to have a model named Admin?

Nvm what I just said earlier. It's a confirmed bug:

http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/545

One way I found around it is to temporarily rename the helper with the
same name on the parent namespace before running the script/generate.
comopasta G. (Guest)
on 2008-10-08 10:20
Erol F. wrote:
> On Oct 8, 1:37?pm, "Robby R." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Do you happen to have a model named Admin?
>
> Nvm what I just said earlier. It's a confirmed bug:
>
> http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/545
>
> One way I found around it is to temporarily rename the helper with the
> same name on the parent namespace before running the script/generate.
comopasta G. (Guest)

Thanks for the replies.

> One way I found around it is to temporarily rename the helper with the
> same name on the parent namespace before running the script/generate.

Erol how did you actually renamed it? I tried and complains about some
dependencies.

C:\InstantRails\rails_apps\test>ruby script/generate scaffold Problem
bug:string
      exists  app/models/
      exists  app/controllers/
      exists  app/helpers/
      create  app/views/problems
      exists  app/views/layouts/
      exists  test/functional/
      exists  test/unit/
      exists  public/stylesheets/
      create  app/views/problems/index.html.erb
      create  app/views/problems/show.html.erb
      create  app/views/problems/new.html.erb
      create  app/views/problems/edit.html.erb
      create  app/views/layouts/problems.html.erb
      create  public/stylesheets/scaffold.css
      create  app/controllers/problems_controller.rb
      create  test/functional/problems_controller_test.rb
      create  app/helpers/problems_helper.rb
       route  map.resources :problems
  dependency  model
      exists    app/models/
      exists    test/unit/
      exists    test/fixtures/
      create    app/models/problem.rb
      create    test/unit/problem_test.rb
      create    test/fixtures/problems.yml
      create    db/migrate
      create    db/migrate/20081008061905_create_problems.rb

C:\InstantRails\rails_apps\test>ruby script/generate controller
Admin::Problems
  The name 'Admin::ProblemsHelper' is either already used in your
application or reserved by Ruby on Rails.
  Please choose an alternative and run this generator again.

> C:\InstantRails\rails_apps\test>ruby script/generate scaffold Problem
>       create  app/views/problems/show.html.erb
>       exists    test/unit/
> application or reserved by Ruby on Rails.
>   Please choose an alternative and run this generator again.

I'm assuming you already have non-namespaced ProblemsController - and
corresponding ProblemsHelper.

Rename problems_helper.rb to problems_helper.rb.bak in your app/
helpers directory.
Run your generate script.
Rename problems_helper.rb.bak to its original name.

HTH
comopasta G. (Guest)
on 2008-10-08 11:30
> Rename problems_helper.rb to problems_helper.rb.bak in your app/
> helpers directory.
> Run your generate script.
> Rename problems_helper.rb.bak to its original name.

Yeah, now it went through.

Thanks!
Billy H. (Guest)
in application.rb

comment "helper :all" and run again.
Like this:

  #helper :all # include all helpers, all the time
end

On 10$B7n(B8$BF|(B, $B>e8a(B5$B;~(B51$BJ,(B, comopasta Gr
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Dave F. (Guest)
on 2008-12-08 03:54
I had the same problem setting up my categories, so I wiped them out and
then scaffolded the admin before the frontend app and it worked
perfectly.

ruby script/generate scaffold Admin::Categories name:string
parent_id:integer lft:integer rgt:integer

ruby script/generate scaffold Categories name:string parent_id:integer
lft:integer rgt:integer
Dave F. (Guest)
on 2008-12-08 04:14
Update... not so perfectly at first...

1. It was Category not Categories

ruby script/generate scaffold Admin::Category name:string
parent_id:integer lft:integer rgt:integer

ruby script/generate scaffold Category name:string parent_id:integer
lft:integer rgt:integer

2. I had to go into the admin controller and views and remove Admin::
and admin_ from everywhere but the controller class declaration.

3. Also... I think I'm gonna delete the generated Admin::Category class.

I have to wonder if there's not a better way... oh well, newbie must
learn.