Forum: Ruby on Rails redirecting .php / .aspx requests ?

John G. (Guest)
on 2008-10-07 15:22
I'm rebuilding my site and with google i'm getting a load of requests
for .php or .aspx files which the previous site was built on.

Is there any way of redirecting these www.mysite.com/index.aspx requests
to the /index action via the routes, maybe a wildcard, so google
sitemaps doesn't list those old links as errors?
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 7 Oct 2008, at 12:22, John G. wrote:

> I'm rebuilding my site and with google i'm getting a load of requests
> for .php or .aspx files which the previous site was built on.
>
> Is there any way of redirecting these www.mysite.com/index.aspx
> requests
> to the /index action via the routes, maybe a wildcard, so google
> sitemaps doesn't list those old links as errors?

You could do this via a mod_rewrite rule, or if you just want rails to
accept those urls, you should be able to do that by adding a pseudo
mime type (in the same say that you can do to yourapp/orders.xml and
get an xml representation, you should be able to add pseudo types for
php and aspx that just behaved the same as the html ones)

Fred
John G. (Guest)
on 2008-10-07 20:11
ok, so if i add a type for php,

Mime::Type.register "application/x-httpd-php", :php

and then something in my route.rb to redirect any .php calls to the
appropriate place i should be ok?