Forum: Ruby extending a class changes from 1.8.4 to 1.8.6

Tim M. (Guest)
on 2008-10-06 23:10
require 'date'
class MyDateTime < DateTime end

under ruby 1.8.4:
  MyDateTime.now.class -> MyDateTime

under ruby 1.8.6
  MyDateTime.now.class -> DateTime

I feel like I missed the boat on something obvious here.  I googled
around a bit though and didn't see anything and I have a mission
critical issue that I need to resolve.

Thanks in advance!
Tim
Tim M. (Guest)
on 2008-10-06 23:17
Tim McIntyre wrote:
> require 'date'
> class MyDateTime < DateTime end
>
> under ruby 1.8.4:
>   MyDateTime.now.class -> MyDateTime
>
> under ruby 1.8.6
>   MyDateTime.now.class -> DateTime
>

> I feel like I missed the boat on something obvious here.  I googled
> around a bit though and didn't see anything and I have a mission
> critical issue that I need to resolve.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Tim

I suppose I should actually ask a question with that:-)

What do I need to do to get the 1.8.4 behavior in 1.8.6?

Thanks!
Tim
Jano S. (Guest)
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 21:15, Tim McIntyre

> Thanks!
> Tim

I suggest looking at lib/date.rb, particularly at Date.now and
Time.now.to_datetime. The rest might depend on your usage.