Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails console, saving objects

Raistlin M. (Guest)
I was reading a book and following the instructions in it.

>> class Story < ActiveRecord::Base; end
=> nil
>> story = Story.new
=> #<Story id: nil, name: nil, url: nil, created_at: nil,
updated_at: nil>
>> story.class
=> Story(id: integer, name: string, link: string,
created_at: datetime, updated_at: datetime)

I do not remember me asking for id, name, link or url, created_at and
updated_at. I do know if I typed craeted_at instead of created_at or
updetad_at instead of updated_at. How do I check whether i typed it
right or wrong?

From the Rails console, I had to create a story class, one instance of
it and save the object, but I created two, so I got a 2 output for a
story.id input. How do I remove the second object from the database?
Philip H. (Guest)
On Oct 5, 2008, at 7:22 PM, Raistlin M. wrote:

> created_at: datetime, updated_at: datetime)
>
> I do not remember me asking for id, name, link or url, created_at and
> updated_at.

At some point you must have created a "stories" table in your database
with those fields.  Rails (technically ActiveRecord) finds this based
on the name of your class (singular version of the table by default).

> I do know if I typed craeted_at instead of created_at or
> updetad_at instead of updated_at. How do I check whether i typed it
> right or wrong?

It should complain about the method not being there.

> From the Rails console, I had to create a story class, one instance of
> it and save the object, but I created two, so I got a 2 output for a
> story.id input. How do I remove the second object from the database?

Story.destroy(2)

Note that that '2' is the *id* of the record you want to remove.  Has
nothing to do with it being the 'second' object.