Forum: Ruby error: ...uninitialized constant Wxruby2

Bou D. (Guest)
on 2008-10-04 20:42
I have already installed the wx package with ruby gem:

gem install wxruby and now I am trying to run a gui sample program. As
follow:

require 'wx'
include Wx
class MyFrame < Frame
  def initialize()
    super(nil, -1, 'My Frame Title')
    @my_panel = Panel.new(self)
    @my_label = StaticText.new(@my_panel, -1, 'My Label Text',
  DEFAULT_POSITION, DEFAULT_SIZE, ALIGN_CENTER)
@my_textbox = TextCtrl.new(@my_panel, -1, 'Default Textbox Value')
@my_combo = ComboBox.new(@my_panel, -1, 'Default Combo Text',
  DEFAULT_POSITION, DEFAULT_SIZE, ['Item 1', 'Item 2', 'Item 3'])
@my_button = Button.new(@my_panel, -1, 'My Button Text')

But anytime i try to run the code, I get following error message:

/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/wxruby-1.9.8-x86-mingw32/lib/wx.rb:50:
uninitialized constant Wxruby2::THE_APP (NameError)

Does anybody knows how to solve this problem?

Thanks. Bou
Alex F. (Guest)
Bou Dramé wrote:
>     @my_panel = Panel.new(self)
>     @my_label = StaticText.new(@my_panel, -1, 'My Label Text',
>   DEFAULT_POSITION, DEFAULT_SIZE, ALIGN_CENTER)
> @my_textbox = TextCtrl.new(@my_panel, -1, 'Default Textbox Value')
> @my_combo = ComboBox.new(@my_panel, -1, 'Default Combo Text',
>   DEFAULT_POSITION, DEFAULT_SIZE, ['Item 1', 'Item 2', 'Item 3'])
> @my_button = Button.new(@my_panel, -1, 'My Button Text')
>   end
> end

You need to add some code at the end of your sample to actually show one
of these frames. Something like

App.run do
   frame = MyFrame.new
   frame.show
end

That should do the trick. You can get more help on the wxruby-users
mailing list: http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?MailingLists

The error message you're getting at the moment is a minor bug in 1.9.8,
it's already fixed in Subversion for the upcoming 2.0 release.

alex