Forum: Ruby on Rails count number of lines in a file with file.open

Morgan M. (Guest)
on 2008-10-04 01:32
ok so i'm trying to just read out a file line by line and i can't seem
to figure out how to not get an EOFerror...  is there some way to tell
when i get to the end of the file?

i'm just reading out line by line, splitting it and sticking it in a
database.
Dejan D. (Guest)
file_out = File.new("file_name", "r")
file_out.each_line do |line|
  do_the_stuf_vith line
end

On Oct 3, 11:32 pm, Morgan M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Morgan M. (Guest)
on 2008-10-04 02:12
       @pid = File.new("filename")
        @pid.each_line do |line|
          @wid = line.split("  ")
          puts @wid
        end

am i doing something wrong?..  this just spits out the path to the file
instead of anything actually in the file.

Dejan D. wrote:
> file_out = File.new("file_name", "r")
> file_out.each_line do |line|
>   do_the_stuf_vith line
> end
>
> On Oct 3, 11:32�pm, Morgan M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Raja V. (Guest)
on 2008-10-05 12:47
Hmm, not sure what you are missing, seems fine to me.
irb(main):001:0> f = File.new('test.txt')
=> #<File:test.txt>
irb(main):002:0> f.each_line do |line|
irb(main):003:1*   w = line.split(' ')
irb(main):004:1>   puts w
irb(main):005:1> end
First
Second
Third
=> #<File:test.txt>

My file had First, Second and Third on separate lines.